Article


The Serious Eye Inflammation of Post Intraocular Avastin Injection

Fathy Abdolmejed1*, Khalid Almajri2 & Ghamela Ali3

1Department of Ophthalmology, Tobruk University, Tobruk, Libya
2Department of Ophthalmology, Omer Almukhtar Unversity, Derna, Libya
3Department of Pediatric, Tobruk University, Tobruk, Libya

Dr. Fathy Abdolmejed, Department of Ophthalmology, Tobruk University, Tobruk, Libya.

Keywords: Endophthalmitis; Intra Vitreal Injection; Tobruk-Derna – Libya

Abstract

The current retrospective study involves a collection of all patients with post intra vitreal injection (IVI) endophthalmitis in last 10-year period between 2010-2019 in eye department of Tobruk medical center - Tobruk and eye department of Alwahda hospital - Derna. We aim in this study to review the microbiology, clinical characteristics, diagnosis, and management strategies of postintravitreal injection endophthalmitis, by comparing our results with the different studies designs and treatment protocols. There were 9 patients of the after intra vitreal injections endophthalmitis cases. The average age was 70 years, 6 cases were females and 3 cases were males. All of them received post intravitreal Avastin injection for endophthalmitis. There were 8 patients with Diabetes Mellitus (DM), 2 with cardiovascular disease, and one had hepatitis C as a systemic disease. The most common causative organism for post intravitreous injection endophthalmitis was Coagulasenegative staphylococci (CNS) comprising of 56% of the cases while the remaining 44% of cases did not involve any microbial etiology. The outcome of cases managed with pars-plana-vitrectomy (PPV) improved significantly about 60 Letters (>3 Lines) and cases managed without PPV>15 Letters (>3 Lines). The cases of post intraocular endophthalmitis which were diagnosed and treated early with PPV gave a good result and can save the vision. The cases of acute POE (Post-Operative Endophthalmitis) in the first 3 day had significant better function (P value = 0.02).

View Full Text | Download PDF

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Total Articles Published

7
2
9






Highlights


Cient Periodique is a ‘Gold’ open access publisher that aspires to offer absolute free, unrestricted access to the valuable research information

We welcome all the eminent authors to submit your valuable paper

Cient Periodique invites the participation of honourable Editors and Authors

CPQ Journals provide Certificates for publication

Cient Periodique also offers memberships for potential Authors

Best Articles will be appreciated with the provision of corresponding Certificate